Wednesday, August 10, 2011

7th Grade and The Bright Side of Chiari

So, everyone keeps saying "Wow, and on top of everything with Will..." when they learn my new journey.  Let me put that sympathy to bed!  Will is doing AMAZING!!!!!  He has only had one large seizure in the last year and two smaller one that we are aware of.  He was recently released from follow ups at MD Anderson (yay, no more traveling to Houston for business, we can now visit our long lost Houston friends on vacation instead of in hospital rooms!) and released from neurosurgery, probably a blessing in more ways than one since his neurosurgeon is leaving KU Med, and his neurologist has decided if he stays on this track we can start weaning medications at our next visit.  Hopefully he will outgrow these seizures after all!  This time next week, I will have a full fledged 7th grader in my house!!! Although he has been in the middle school for two years, this year he loses recess, has to change out for gym, and has to switch rooms for each class. I am a tiny bit concerned that I will have a lost child wandering around the big scary middle school next Tuesday, but I am sure someone will help him find his way!!  Wait, did you catch that?  If he's wandering around the school to find his classes, what did he lose?  His full time PARA!!!!!  Although he will have his PARA in certain classes, for social interaction therapy, and as needed through the day, he is being let off his PARA leash which will give him an even better chance at being "just one of the kids" around school when he is capable.  So, no worries on our life stacking against us, Bouga is doing fabulous!!!


On our fabulous, upbeat note, a few "On the Bright Side" thoughts on this whole Chiari business seeing as they have confirmed today that I will require surgery:
1- I don't have to spend lots of money on alcohol or funny drugs to make the world spin, see double, or feel like I am flying, I only have to change position quickly and weeeee, the same feeling LEGALLY and FREE!! 

2-I don't have to wish for a water bed or a hammock or a baby swing to lull me to sleep, every time I lay down, my sensation rocks.  How cool is that to be 31 years old and get rocked to sleep every night?  Funny thing is, I can only just now brag about it, because until recently I didn't know that it was not normal, I thought everyone got rocked to sleep every night.

3- You get a free Redbox rental on your McDonald's drink today,  I get a free brain surgery!!  (God bless our fabulous place of employment and our phenomenal benefits and insurance plan for removing that worry from my mind!!!!)

4- I'm not an airhead, although some people would beg to differ.  The fact is there's no room for air in there because my brain is too big for my head and is falling out of my skull!

5-I get to scare the crap out of all my friends at work who have not met my adorable twin sister.  Visitor, patient, visitor, patient.... that will make them think for a few seconds before they decide who to draw blood from, and if I don't like the person coming to stick me maybe I can offer my sister up for sacrifice, after all, I'm going to be miserable in bed and why wouldn't she want to to anything she could to keep me from being in any more pain???  Lol!!!

Ok, goodnight our Warrior family, I will share more of life with Chiari on another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment